Navy Pier

I took the day off on Friday so that the whole family could do something fun together during spring break. We discussed many options and settled on taking the train to Chicago and doing some fun things at Navy Pier. Although we could have woke up at the crack of dawn to get on the 8am train, we opted to sleep in and take the 11am train instead. The train ride down to Chicago was fun and uneventful. I sat with Erin and we had a good time talking and taking in the sites along the way. Once there, we took the city bus to Navy Pier which was surprisingly empty on at mid-day on a Friday.

After grabbing a quick lunch in the Navy Pier food court (everyone got exactly what they wanted to eat – I had a Gyro), we headed over to the IMAX theatre where we got to see How To Train Your Dragon in 3D. It was an awesome movie… REALLY AWESOME. And the 3D was amazing. I haven’t seen any of the recent full-length 3D movies; only a couple of the lame ones from the late 80s in which the main characters were pointing or throwing something at the audience every few minutes. The 3D effects of this movie were so immersive. I’m sure it didn’t hurt that we were seeing it on the IMAX screen. Oh… and the storyline was classic Dreamworks. It reminded me of the Shrek movies.

After the movie, we walked down to the Pier amusement park and took a trip on the 150 foot high Ferris Wheel. The included picture shows Kristi, A.J., and Erin at the base of the ride just after we finished. Following the ride, we walked all the way down to the end of the pier and snapped a few more photos. On the way back down the pier, we stopped at a funhouse maze called Amazing Chicago. It was sort of fun to go through once but not worth the $10 per person price.

We got back to Union Station at 7pm with plenty of time to spare for 8pm train ride back to Milwaukee only to find out that the train had hit a pedestrian in Oak Creek earlier in the afternoon and wasn’t available to take us to Milwaukee. That caused a little panic for us for a couple of minutes. Luckily, the nice people at Amtrak hired a fleet of coach buses to take all of the passengers that were waiting to board the train. We were fortunate enough to get on the first express bus back to Milwaukee and only arrived about 15 minutes after scheduled train arrival time.

All in all, it was a very exciting, fun, and unusually interesting day with the family.


%d bloggers like this: